UK Parking Control Employee Reviews

I can't fault them!
Parking Attendant (Current Employee) –  WhitehavenApril 19, 2019
After being here about two and a half years I honestly can't find fault with the company at all, from the rate of pay to the fact of being able to accommodate my personal commitments at short notice with no problems at all, Great support from management both at work and on a personal level too really good guys, if you work for them believe me they work for you too! Don't believe all you hear about this company!
Pros
Rate Of Pay, Efficient Management, Continuous Support
U.K. Parking (Former Employee) –  BuckinghamshireMarch 28, 2019
Yes I am very flexible and ready to understand any work and face all the abuse it's s job nothing is easy but you got to go through battle to win the war
Pros
Free lunch
Salary / Benefits
Seemed good at first but really wasn't in the end.
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  KentMarch 19, 2019
I'm just going to break this down into parts.

-Work/life balance depends on your shifts, so if you do lates or earlies then it'll be bad.
-Pay per hour for the constant harassment from the public is bad. You do intiially get given a few band increases to keep you in but they stop quickly and your wages won't increase alongside minimum increases/inflation.
-You do get a bonus which varies on your tickets that get paid, however that can vary from day to day/week to week and isn't something to be relied upon. Unless you're lucky enough to do some major sites (most of which are ticketless dumps), you aren't going to pull more than 18K a year including hourly rates which considering you are going to be harassed, assaulted amongst other things I'll get to later, is really bad.
-Lunch isn't paid and you don't get a choice of not taking it. So you may or may not want to not work through it, unless you're desperate for tickets (likely).
-Most of your learning will happen on the job, you will make many mistakes that can and should be covered in training but isn't.
-Job security is an absolute zero - you are expendable. You are expected to take punches, always be polite to blagrantly abusive people and reactions will result in dismissal - this includes self defence.
-Management would vary per region as there were different teams, my experience is it was mixed. The people themselves are nice enough but the company is based on scummy tactics (i.e. letters and bailiffs harassing people for money) so there's a constant push for you to get tickets (which isn't allowed by the BPA).
  more... Those in office aren't very knowledgeable about the sites you have to go to and are always having to relay emails to other people to get answers which slows things down. This makes "enforcing" car park regulations very hard and often fruitless, especially as a lot of the time you won't get answers for your queries.
-Information regarding sites varied a lot too, going back to the previous point, this could affect your income as you cannot enforce things properly. Plenty of information was also plain wrong and wouldn't get corrected and leave other newer wardens to make the same mistakes.
-Communication was great at first then went sparce. You will get emails complaining you did something except you never got the email telling you that thing had changed. Most communication in the end was purely "Thanks, I'll pass it on" and "We need to push for tickets".
-The vast majority of sites, as previously mentioned, are ticketless dumps. You have to waste time going to them however. Regardless, you're expected a consistent ticket amount each day/week, despite little things like time of year/time of day/weather can vary the tickets there.
-One week you might have an event at a shopping centre and pull an extra 20 tickets, they'll hold that over you the next week when the event is no longer on with no regard. They assume you're being lazy.
-High staff turnover, although I know for a fact most people cannot hack doing this job, it does grate on you eventually being harassed/assaulted.
-You have to use your own vehicle which is extremely bad. Okay your petrol is paid but the toll on your car is immense. I did 22,000 miles in a year at a low estimate, you will not receive anything regarding your car crapping out besides missed hours and therefore income as a car is necessary for mobile wardens. People will damage your car if possible too. Lots of sites are poorly designed so you will struggle to not damage your car coming and going.
-Sites are often in disrepair (potholes, incorrect signs) and have crime, which you can report to head office but will rarely get results. This is because clients are greedy and don't care.
-Always hassling you for overtime because they can't keep staff in.
-Some staff will be given favourtism over you (for various reasons) and you'll be moaned at for under performing while they always under perform. In particular, this involves illegal ticketing (i.e. incorrect, but not just mistakes, blatant not caring for the bonus) which rarely goes unpunished because the ticket count for the week has to be high.
-A lot of management are in place who shouldn't be. They only are because somebody quit (no surprise) and they only advance from within. So it's good for you if you're advancing, bad for everyone else.
-You do have the freedom to go between sites as a mobile warden but as I said, most are rubbish, also eventually they'll force you onto certain sites in an attempt to increase tickets, despite being clueless about when the peak times are for example, thus affecting your income.

Probably more but this is all I could think off the top of my head. Mostly negative as you can see. You let a lot slide at the beginning but it really becomes apparent and negative down the line. Ultimately you start off thinking "It's a job" and you'll make a massive difference by ensuring disabled bays are used correctly, instead you'll be ticketing people who don't really deserve it a lot of the time to get some money and keep head office happy and left feeling really bitter about it all.
Pros
Petrol paid if mobile, uniform and equipment provided, paid weekly and on time, bonus every two weeks, petrol allowance paid every two weeks between bonus, freedom to go to sites as you please (usually)
Cons
No paid lunch, always work weekends, training sub par, see main review
Career change
Car Park Attendant (Current Employee) –  LeedsJanuary 14, 2019
A lot of patrols and customer support and interaction is always part of my daily routine assignment.

Learnt a lot about customer service and conflict resolution at work. As a car park attendant you sometimes have to make yourself available to explain why a ticket has been issued. Sometimes you have to calm drivers because some become aggressive and impatient though they are at fault.

Puntuality at work is very essential and one has to make sure he work according to the rota provided. You also have to be a team player on site. You also have to be observant so you can identify health and safety issues.

Enjoy working with the company but just want to change career, though there is similarity working as a Security officer.
Worked for them
Not Telling (Former Employee) –  Somewhere in AmershamNovember 29, 2018
Terrible organisation, they take advantage of you, its full of nepotisim and favouritism.

Benefits are terrible, training non existence, if your ill, they don't pay you, and then extend you parole period again and again so that you never become a full time employee.

The staff are so close knit, your viewed as an outsider, then the malicious rumours start. Its definitely the worst place I have ever worked.

The management team have little to no people or organisational skills, as they have gone up the ladder as the company grows.
Pros
Cons
Spiteful and malicious teams.
parking attendant
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  BirminghamNovember 23, 2018
I didnt know what to expect on my first day but a trainer met me and we had lots of training over 2 days, so when i was by myself patrolling i felt comfortable and knew what to do. Head office were easy to contact and talk to and i felt that i had a good relationship with them. i was also given uniform and could order more so didnt have to provide my own clothes.

the hardest part of the job was the public sometimes as they werent happy about getting parking tickets but i was told how to handle them during training, and knew to tell them about how to appeal. I loved being outside bu i guess thats not for everyone.

money is good and paid weekly which helped me. meant that i could keep my car full with petrol to do my shift. PRP was a good scheme with some weeks better than others, and i got some vouchers once for doing a good job.

would recommend this company to work with.
Pros
weekly pay, good management
Cons
public
Good work environment
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  KentNovember 21, 2018
I worked for UKPC for 9 mnths as a warden.

I was employed with an hourly rate of £8.50, but quickly moved up through the pay banding as I was told i was doing a great job with my feedback. although i patrolled on my own, I had calls from management to make sure everything was going ok, which made me feel supported.

I got some frustration from the public, which at first took some getting used to, but my manager helpd me with some conflict management and helped boost my confidence.

I left as I had to relocate, and unfortunately there were no vacancies in my new area.
Pros
pay reviews
Cons
frustrated members of public
Tickets
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, WorcestershireMarch 3, 2018
Most of the sites are privately owned and lmmkthey were wanting 35 tickets per week couldn't give any out when everything was legal they were more interested in making money
Pros
Cons
The company
parking attendant
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West MidlandsFebruary 28, 2018
if you like being outside this is a great job, money is ok, PRP scheme is good. as long as you patrol all your sites and issue charges to vehicles which are parking incorrectly then Head Office leave you pretty much alone. whenever I did have a problem head Office were always helpful. was given vouchers for doing a good job
Pros
Paid on time, uniform provided
Cons
Had to work on Sundays
Salary / Benefits
Extremely high staff turnover and low job security but good opportunities if you are liked by management.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Not UxbridgeFebruary 24, 2018
My role was office based.
ENVIRONMENT:
Good company. I am told they are better than others in the sector by colleagues with previous experience.
Your department, gender and social skills (suck up skills) will play a significant role in your experiences and promotional opportunities. Your skills and ability won't count for much if one particular person doesn't like you.
You could say that the office demographic is 90% female intentionally, with the majority being young quite simply to make things fun during social events.
The working environment is highly toxic and unnecessarily stressful. ALL leavers say the same thing; that their work life is so much better in their new jobs. One department talks about weekend conquests all day. One department gets away with doing nothing. One responsible department will keep their heads down when they see wrongdoing. One department's importance is overinflated but they are compensated with literally being expected to work 24/7. Choose wisely.
MANAGEMENT:
Clearly, they know what they are doing but there is an element of cluelessness and fumbling in their decision making.
Obvious ways to improve the business are rejected based solely on the opinion of glorified favourite employees.
Expect your job to be on the line every 6 months. I haven't decided if this is strategic or an example of how clueless their decision making is. If you have never lost respect or admiration of a senior manager before, that experience will not escape you here.
THE JOB:
Fast paced, technically forward thinking. Client focussed without exception. If the client
  more... doesn't like the race of a field staff member, guess who wins? Computers and data everywhere. Modern looking office. A chance to get to know a dying industry. Opportunites to travel and meet various people and clients.
FIELD STAFF:
You can be out of a job in weeks for very little reason. Even if you are good at the job, if you are not liked..good luck
ADVICE FOR NEW EMPLOYEES:
If you are hard as nails, assertive, manipulative and capable of getting another job without too much effort, then take this job for the experience and opportunity to gain new skills. Carry your resignation letter with you or in your email drafts and take the challenge.
Pros
There are some but a basic need is job security, without that, you're just wasting your time
Cons
Read my main review.
Salary / Benefits
Be prepared to be abused.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater ManchesterJanuary 23, 2018
I was working for them. Not having good memories about that period. Abused by the public, they told me that, somehow, is my fault. Of course was my fault that peoples had £70 tickets. In my honest opinion, avoid!
Pros
paid on time.
Cons
way to much hassle.
Efficiency required
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  SuffolkOctober 17, 2017
Good people with bad ethics.
You need your heart removed before commencing work.
Be prepared for public abuse.
Lack of ticketing opportunities.
Great training.
Pros
Work gear supplied
Cons
Hard on the soul
Better than I thought!
Warden (Current Employee) –  London.October 1, 2017
I've worked at UKPC for about a year and I was a bit worried before I started about the company but they are great. Really understanding when needed and salary is ok to. I've been promoted twice and enjoy the job, sometimes members of public are rude but I'm always polite.
Pros
Flexible. Outdoors. Paid weekly.
Cons
Members of public can be rude.
Salary / Benefits
A good company to work for
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater LondonSeptember 19, 2017
UKPC is a good company to work for. Management are always polite and encouraging, and helpful if you have any problems. Sometimes the work can be a little challenging, but I always felt supported in my position.
Pros
Cons
Dealing with the public
Salary / Benefits
Interview Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater LondonAugust 15, 2017
The office is very friendly and easy to fit in, there is a casual and relaxed culture with a relaxed dress code too. I've formed some brilliant relationships with those in my department and those who aren't, as departments work closely together you get the opportunity to build relationships and have fun too. Everyone in the office is really supportive and friendly too

The only annoying bit is there is no free parking, you have to park in a street or a paid car park, but its a short walk away and I like the walk before and after work. The pay isn't amazing, but its standard for the role and for the entry requirements.

What I also like is that the role is based in a central location, so you can easily walk to the shops and stuff around, grab lunch and do a shop if you want.
Pros
location, culture and people
Cons
parking, pay
Parking Attendant
Parking Attendant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, HampshireAugust 15, 2017
I enjoy working for this company because i like the support that i get with everything i do, i like to be outside and interact with different people and it has given me the opportunity to have the experience in managing with conflict, different rules and regulations, and being able to deal with difficult situations.
Full training was provided which was great, the uniform was also provided, and the communication in the company has been consistent throughout my employment here at UKPC.
Everyone is very helpful here and i continue to work in the company for many years to come.
Good work environment
Parking Attendant (Current Employee) –  NorthwoodAugust 7, 2017
Great place to work, excellent management, good working hours, only down side poor money. Working out side in rain and cold can be a challenge, so one must bear this in mind, wouldn't even be writing review if money was better but when i leave its been overall good experience.
Pros
working out side meeting new peaple
Cons
poor money
good place to work
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  LondonAugust 7, 2017
was on a mobile route, day was varied never boring. some conflict at times but nothing to bad.
good support from head office, other wardens in team happy to help. good for losing weight!
Pros
paid weekly, uniform provided
Parking Attendant (Current Employee) –  LondonJuly 26, 2017
Get paid on time, rate of pay is ok and their is opportunity to progress through pay bands and earn more
Good support from head office and area managers, always answer phone or email if query
Pros
working outdoors
Ukpc ompany
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, BuckinghamshireJune 22, 2017
One of the worst places to ever work,all they care about is tickets and nothing else and they deduct wages sometimes for no reason ,people in the office are worst people you can talked to.i would avoid this job like the plague.
Pros
No breaks
Cons
Rubbish hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Parking Control. Our community is ready to answer.

3.0Salary / Benefits